Thursday, June 23, 2011

... To Do My First Tri!

WTH????!!!!!!  I'm beginning to rethink this whole "it's never too late" thing! 

Two weeks ago I was convinced to sign up for my first triathlon.  I believe this would be considered a sprint triathlon, but it's quite a huge feat if you ask me!  Swim 300 meters, bike 16 1/2 miles, and run 3 miles.  Even though every run I do is somewhat of a challenge, I'm pretty certain I can run the 3 miles, however, I haven't been on a bike in years and I really don't know how to swim!

I finally made it to the pool for the first time tonight to see what I can do.  I was so nervous when I got there.  Walking into the pool area for the first time to swim laps I felt like all eyes were on me.  Of course, nobody was paying any attention to me! Whew!  I got in the pool and as God is always taking care of me, I just happened to strike up a converstion with someone who used to teach swimming.  She gave me some good advice and we laughed at my decision to do this but she said that I could do it!  So, off I went doing my best impression of a free style swim!  At least I think that's what it's called!  It actually felt pretty good and I think I even surprised the swim teacher that I could do that.  However, weak arms didn't even get me a full length of the pool before I reverted to my version of the breast stroke.  I finally made it to the edge and I had to stay there for awhile to get my heart rate back down.  I spent the next 15 minutes trying to free style my way across the pool and then reverting to whatever method got me the rest of the way and then resting on the edge of the pool, but I managed the 300 meters! 

Since I had paid $3 to get into the rec center, I decided I needed to get my money's worth so I changed my clothes and went upstairs.  I rode the stationary bike for 20 minutes and made it 3.69 miles.  After that I hopped on the treadmill for 20.  I set it to rolling hills to try to make it a little bit interesting.  I made it 1.75 miles there.  So that was my first attempt at my own version of the mini-sprint triathlon.  It was a good workout and I really hope that 2 months is enough time to get me into shape to do the real thing!   Me, my pathetic version of swimming, and my hand-me-down Wal-Mart bike are on our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment